Dell will complete its acquisition of EMC on Sept. 7, ending nearly a year of approvals and decades of history for the two companies that will combine to become Dell Technologies.
The mammoth deal was announced last October with an estimated value of US$67 billion. The companies recently crossed their last regulatory hurdle when China’s Ministry of Commerce signed off on the deal.
Buying EMC and its federation of related companies will make Dell a stronger player in key areas that include software-defined data center, converged infrastructure, hybrid cloud, and security, Dell Technologies Chairman and CEO Michael Dell said in a press release.
It will be the only company selling everything from edge devices to core data centers and cloud infrastructure, he said earlier this year. Dell Technologies’ major competitors will include Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, and Cisco Systems.
The new enterprise company will be called Dell EMC, while the consumer PC business will continue to be called Dell. VMware, which is majority-owned by EMC, will continue to also be publicly traded. Dell is privately held.
Michael Dell founded the company that would bear his name in 1984 when he was a college student assembling PCs. EMC began in 1979 and grew into the world’s largest independent enterprise storage vendor, along the way acquiring VMware, security vendor RSA, and cloud infrastructure player Pivotal.
EMC Chairman and CEO Joe Tucci, who has run the company since 2001 and is one of the longest-serving chief executives in technology, is expected to retire after the close of the deal.
- Video: Tiger Woods Impersonator Charms Fans at Dell Technologies Championship
- Mother of Dulce Maria Alavez, 5, fears an 'old friend' who tried to date her may have been involved in daughter's disappearance from a New Jersey park two months ago
- Trump Is Losing It: New Book Says President Can't Remember Old Friends And Bannon Saw Chance Of 'Unfit' Determination
- Hyperconverged systems sales surge in Q1, Dell Technologies, VMware, Nutanix lead
- Dell Technologies adds VxRail hyperconverged systems for analytics workloads
- Kylie Jenner and Jordyn Woods on Speaking Terms, Say Hello Inside Nightclub
- Donald Trump asks despot Kim Jong-un to ‘shake hands and say hello’ at DMZ on North Korea border
- Kidney failure patient, 56, who was on dialysis has a new lease of life after an old friend he met on the golf course agreed to donate his organ
- Pet of the Week: A purr-fect 2-year-old friendly cat named Sonic
- Montenegro and Russia: Centuries-Old Friends or 'Enemy Territory'?
- The killer whale that can say 'hello' and 'bye bye'
- Say ‘hello neighbour’ for a safe locality
- What We Mean When We Say Hello
- Say Hello To The New Mercedes CLA In First Spy Shots
- Bob Geldof attacks his old friend Zac Goldsmith as he backs Lib Dem rival in Richmond claiming by-election is start of ‘fightback’ against ‘catastrophic’ Brexit
- Video: Vladimir Putin, MBS Dap as Russia, Saudi Leaders Greet Like Old Friends at G20 Summit
- Perpetrators using drones to stalk victims in new age of technology fuelled harassment
- The mystery of 'Ireland's Madeleine McCann': Unsolved case of six-year-old girl who went missing 42 years ago is rocked as identical twin sister claims to 'know who killed her'
- Facebook admits it poses mental health risk – but says using site more can help
- Humanity's Best Friend: How Dogs May Have Helped Humans Beat the Neanderthals